Register iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   BeltfedShooters.com > BeltfedShooters.Com - Browning Machine Guns > M2 .50 Caliber Browning Machine Guns

Old 12-06-2016, 08:36 AM

Default Semi auto m3 firing full auto at times

Gents,
i recently took my M3 out to fire and i got through about half a can of ammo when it started to fire a few rounds at a burst rate. I tore the gun down and looked at the firing pin, trigger spring and sear & Spring. it all looked and functioned fine out of the gun. does anyone have any solutions or pieces that may be acting up?
Old 12-06-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Gents,
i recently took my M3 out to fire and i got through about half a can of ammo when it started to fire a few rounds at a burst rate. I tore the gun down and looked at the firing pin, trigger spring and sear & Spring. it all looked and functioned fine out of the gun. does anyone have any solutions or pieces that may be acting up?
Did you check your semi-auto sear or whatever you have functioning as a semi-auto sear? I bet it is either worn or out of specs.

Did you build the M3 yourself or did you have someone else do it? I ask because I am wondering how it was modified to be semi-auto.
Obviously that will be the key to solving your problem. It stands to reason though, given the description of a "burst" that my first
thought above is probably close to the truth. It may be just lightly worn, but just enough to allow it to do such "bursts".
Old 12-07-2016, 06:30 AM
Registed User

Default If it...

If it is a semi auto... I would not continue using it that way... If the conversion was done properly... I don't know much about that platform yet but maybe a possible stuck firing pin or firing pin extenstion...

In the past on the 30 cal browings a weak sear spring could cause something similar... I would examine your sear and make sure the surfaces are free of burrs and damage etc.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Komrade View Post
If it is a semi auto... I would not continue using it that way... If the conversion was done properly... I don't know much about that platform yet but maybe a possible stuck firing pin or firing pin extenstion...

In the past on the 30 cal browings a weak sear spring could cause something similar... I would examine your sear and make sure the surfaces are free of burrs and damage etc.
I agree with Kali, I would not shoot again intill you find the problem a out of battery discharge could be deadly. would check sear and firing pin for sticking/binding or breakage. let us know what you find pictures help also. Who built the gun? How many rounds have been fired?
Old 12-07-2016, 07:49 PM

It could also be that the disconnector to the sear is not working
properly due to wear. Are the parts used for the build used?
Old 12-09-2016, 08:16 AM
Registed User

Default Usually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdove View Post
It could also be that the disconnector to the sear is not working
properly due to wear. Are the parts used for the build used?
Usually if the disconnector does not work properly you will generally get a failure to fire in a semi auto... If it does not connect with the sear it cannot disengage it in the direction it needs to go to release the firing pin...

Just a though on that JM... Now a mixture of all the wrong parts and who knows what you can get...

I am really curious to know if it has a KMP set up in it...
Old 12-09-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Komrade View Post
Usually if the disconnector does not work properly you will generally get a failure to fire in a semi auto... If it does not connect with the sear it cannot disengage it in the direction it needs to go to release the firing pin...

Just a though on that JM... Now a mixture of all the wrong parts and who knows what you can get...

I am really curious to know if it has a KMP set up in it...
Right, unless the stopping mechanism required by the atf in case of disconnector failure has also failed--otherwise I agree. Since we don't know what he did, we don't know if that has been improperly bypassed. So, I am curious too, that's why I asked him who did the modification. Speculation is not an exact science, but all we have to go on at the moment. So far, curiously, crickets.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:17 AM
Registed User

Default Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdove View Post
Right, unless the stopping mechanism required by the atf in case of disconnector failure has also failed--otherwise I agree. Since we don't know what he did, we don't know if that has been improperly bypassed. So, I am curious too, that's why I asked him who did the modification. Speculation is not an exact science, but all we have to go on at the moment. So far, curiously, crickets.
Yeah you just never know...
Old 12-13-2016, 12:21 PM

Gentleman

Thank you all for getting back on this with me. TNW made this gun. I am extremely upset with them for the entire process. To make a very long story short, they stole parts from me and put in M2 parts and the gun didn't even work when i got it. since i had it sitting for almost a year without firing it they would not correct their issues with manufacture. i would never purchase anything from them again.

so i will take some picture of the sear tonight and repost. This was the first time firing it since it was built. I have had it about 2 years but it was a display in my gun room. i did not have a good area to shoot it until now. so to my dismay it does not work properly out of the box so to speak. The parts were mostly used but the bolt and most internal parts were new. I checked the firing pin and spring and they seam to be fine. I think it may be the sear spring or dis connector area. I am mostly a 1919 and M240 guy so 50s are not my strong area but i do understand the mechanics enough. I will get some more images soon. Thanks again for the help on this gents.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:12 PM

You may not like to hear this...

I'd suggest you scrap the TNW trigger and sear and install one from KMP. Tom at KMP will know what mods you need to make.

KMP is the gold standard for M2 and 1919

Tags
auto, firing, full, semi, times