Register iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   BeltfedShooters.com > BeltfedShooters.Com - Belt-Fed Discussion Forums > RPD Belt-Fed Light Machine Guns

Old 04-29-2013, 09:28 PM

Thanks! yeah, one day I'm gonna put an eotech on mine, but I spend all my money on tools, lol. ..Too bad I can't MAKE one!!! but I was going to borrow my buddy's to see if I need to make any further adjustments.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 PM

Back in the day i had an eotech on my bushmaster, that thing is sweet! I was already used to shooting with both eyes open but man its quick to target and i like the rectical also.....I was going to get an ACOG but at the time, money dictated the eotech.

I was worth every penny! I had the AA battery set up.

Measure, think about it, measure again, think about it some more, measure again, then cut......."Oh S***!!!!"

"Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened." Billy Gram
Old 05-01-2013, 08:33 AM

I think you MAY have built it low enough to get a micro Aimpoint (or clone) to co-witness the iron sights. I'd love to see one on that rail, as that is exactly what I would put on it.

The EOTech most likely will sit too high as it was designed to match the sight height of an AR 15 from the receiver rail on that weapon. And it will most certainly block your irons.

Granted it's a robust sight. It's always nice to have the ability to shoot through the sight with the irons if something stupid happens.

I would design the mount around the Aimpoint micro. It will get more legs if you plan on selling them. Part 2 would be taking that same mount and milling a portion of the rails flat (say in the middle of the rail) and allowing for a uni type mount that would allow the micro reflex sights to be used as well. Like the Triji RMR, Burris FF, and all the super tiny sights via adapter plate.

(Which you could also make and sell)

I think you'd clean up as - you'd be about the only game in town - offering all the features the big boys are putting in a lot of the optics platforms from like the AK / AR world.

Either way I'm probably in for one.
:)
Old 05-01-2013, 06:57 PM

I've thought about the whole co-witnessing idea, after the fact, but it turns out with my first one I made here, you could do just that. I've always been partial to the EOtech, but I've always wanted a real aimpoint... the whole ten year battery life thing is awesome! But on an area weapon such as a belt fed mg, should the eotech fail, I would think one could use the screen box as the recticle and shoot whatever's in it...That being said, co-witnessing a working optic has its advantages, so I'll be making all of my base model rails at the right height. As far as the micro sights, I'm not too familiar with their mounting method. I wanted to put one on one of my AKs but never did. I'll have to research it a bit, but I want to make this rail system as versatile as possible. And with my quick-change barrel project I have to make the railed handguards attach to the receiver, so having both rails equal in height to each other is a must so you could mount some NV or thermal or something...
Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 AM

This is in front of the rear sight and not behind. But co-witness certainly has it's advantages IMO. (Micro aimpoint clone - TRS-25 on an ultimak rail / AK)

Where your's will sit behind the rear leaf. I think it may be low enough to achieve the same effect.

The small micro reflex type sights can use a picatinny base to mount to a standard rail. Like so; (Trijicon RMR)

But this usually raises them up a good bit and ends up blocking out the co-witness in most cases. The advantage is - you can use the hole pattern in the sight / mount instead.

For example;

If you had a section in the middle of the rail that would allow these adapter plates to be installed on. (Like Midwest Industries uses on their mounts to allow you to use the micro red dot's at the right height) The sight would stay low on the rail. The FN FNP 45 tactical pistol also uses a similar arrangement. It has a slot cut out of the slide, then you just drop in whatever plate you want for the sight you are using. That bolts to the slide. Then the sight drops on it's native mount.

It may be easier to copy an existing system. Such as a rail that mimics the FNP's slide hole pattern. Then people could just buy the mount kit for the FNP to put on whatever red dot they want. It would allow for a much smaller mount as well. I'd guess half of what you made. Or less. Most of these are very small. Even the micro aimpoint clone shown above weighs 3-4oz? Minimum impact to an already heavy as hell weapon.

Here's the kit. $36.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...ies/F515661410

May be too much for "version 1". But it should give you some idea's going forward.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:59 AM

Default rpd sight base

MCMILLAN 7.62 that's one nice base sign me up for one. PM me with your info for payment.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:50 PM

Thanks!!! PM sent! I'd love to see how it looks on your set-up.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:18 AM

Well here is how it looks. This is a real nice rail, I drilled & tapped the top cover 8-32 and used lock-tite should hold with the ability to remove latter if wanted. Used an old aimpoint 3000 that I had laying around. Fits nice and it dose co-witness. Thanks a bunch can't wait to get out and shoot it.
Gregrpd 008.JPG

rpd 007.JPG

rpd 004.JPG

rpd 006.JPG

rpd 003.JPG
Old 05-28-2013, 07:04 PM

AWESOME!!! I'm glad you like it!! workin on a micro mount but I have to do some more R&D first...Thanks for posting the pics! I just put these up on the good ol' GB. Hopefully I can make some more happy people!!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:40 PM

You still making these?

Tags
cover, mount, rail, rpd, top