Register iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   BeltfedShooters.com > BeltfedShooters.Com - Browning Machine Guns > 1919A4 .30 Cal Air-Cooled Machine Guns

Old 12-19-2016, 05:25 AM

Default GGI vs. KMP M1919A4

I am trying to learn all I can about Browning M1919s and intend to buy one soon.

Semi-auto in .308 is the basics. Not concerned about tripods or add-ons right now.

A reliable shooting gun is most important on my list.

I have found two sources so far...

Atlantic firearms who sell GGI made guns.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0

Lone Wolf Distributors who sells guns built by John McGuire with KMP side plates.

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail....=1459&CAT=4526

They both cost about the same and they should become available at around the same time. Mid January.

Does anyone have any strong opinions either way about which one is better?

Any advice for someone just getting into M1919s for the first time?

Thanks.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:44 AM
Registed User

Default I would...

I would go with the John McGuirre gun... KMP is the key here... they the best sear design by far and John is one of the top builders... You won't be disappointed...

Remember when you get your gun you will probably have to do a few little things sometimes they run right out of the box fine and sometimes not so much...
Old 12-19-2016, 05:58 AM
Physical Therapist >>

With any semi beltfed like Kal said...ul most likley have to tinker with it to get it running at 100%....its always some thing simple for the most part........can get annoying though

Ive owned quite a few 1919s since I started collecting and out of all of them I still feel the JBM built rifles were better than the others. Ive owned ORF, TNW, OOW, Valkyrie...and a few other home built 1919s...some of these rifles were nice but in my opinion just didnt shoot as smoothly as Johns. All though im extremely picky as well.....rivets have to be perfect, everything aligned, no wobble in the sight or handle, quality finish...etc With johns, everything was always built spot on! never really had any issues with function...worked great with 30-06 and 308.
Further more I strongly believe KMP is by far the best choice for a semi built 1919....their parts are quality built. Though that isnt to say theres not other good semi internals out their....just from my experience they have held up great and have a very smooth trig pull.

I have two of his 1919s and both are still running great!
Old 12-19-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Komrade View Post
I would go with the John McGuirre gun... KMP is the key here... they the best sear design by far and John is one of the top builders... You won't be disappointed...

Remember when you get your gun you will probably have to do a few little things sometimes they run right out of the box fine and sometimes not so much...
Thanks for the replies guys. I started thumbing through the "Stickys" on this forum and have found some great information so far. Tweaking the rifle a little is part of the fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandojd View Post
With any semi beltfed like Kal said...ul most likley have to tinker with it to get it running at 100%....its always some thing simple for the most part........can get annoying though

Ive owned quite a few 1919s since I started collecting and out of all of them I still feel the JBM built rifles were better than the others. Ive owned ORF, TNW, OOW, Valkyrie...and a few other home built 1919s...some of these rifles were nice but in my opinion just didnt shoot as smoothly as Johns. All though im extremely picky as well.....rivets have to be perfect, everything aligned, no wobble in the sight or handle, quality finish...etc With johns, everything was always built spot on! never really had any issues with function...worked great with 30-06 and 308.
Further more I strongly believe KMP is by far the best choice for a semi built 1919....their parts are quality built. Though that isnt to say theres not other good semi internals out their....just from my experience they have held up great and have a very smooth trig pull.

I have two of his 1919s and both are still running great!
OK, I think I will go with John McGuire then. I assume that is what you meant by JBM? I am new to this...LOL

I like to tinker. It didn't take too long to figure out how to get my Ares Defense MCR to run like a top.

With a little advice and some patients, I am sure I will be fine.

Thank you very much for your time fellas.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:04 AM
Registed User

Yep John B McGuire JBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCuda View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I started thumbing through the "Stickys" on this forum and have found some great information so far. Tweaking the rifle a little is part of the fun.

OK, I think I will go with John McGuire then. I assume that is what you meant by JBM? I am new to this...LOL

I like to tinker. It didn't take too long to figure out how to get my Ares Defense MCR to run like a top.

With a little advice and some patients, I am sure I will be fine.

Thank you very much for your time fellas.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:59 PM

Both are very decent. I have 2 GGI's and I will swear by them. Straight outta of the crate to the range. No issues what so ever. First one I broke in properly, second one I wanted to stress test it. 1500rds straight using links and switching back and forth from cloth to metal. Not one issue for feeding or jam. I have no affiliations with GGI or JBM, just my own use and field tests. If its your first 1919 id deffenitly stick with a GGI or JBM. Dont dabble in a home brew make yet, until you can troubleshoot these guns well. I bought one home build for cheap, and put more money into it to fix issues, that shouldnt have even been an issue.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:53 PM

Is there any way to tell if 1919 with KMP side plate is one John McGuire did? Enclosed is a picture of my 1919 KMP. I didn't get any provenance about this particular 1919 so if anyone could add any additional information would be greatly appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161220_150015.jpg (4.06 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20161220_145919.jpg (4.64 MB, 20 views)
Old 03-09-2017, 06:08 PM

Well here it is folks, I ordered this thing mid December and I just got it today. John McGuire built with a KMP side plate .308 M1919A4 in all it's glory! I have not shot it yet but so far, It looks fantastic!

Note: The bullets in the picture are my blue tip dummy display rounds. They are real bullets that are filled with RTV sealant. Completely inert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170309_153955.jpg (3.34 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20170309_153931.jpg (3.18 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20170309_153919.jpg (3.31 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg images-2.jpg (7.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png images.png (7.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-10-2017, 05:44 AM
Registed User

Default Cool...

Cool congrats...

First off... not sure if the ammo you got belted up is going to run right... You need to make sure your running a full metal jacket bullet for best results... also the cartridge overall length needs to fit with little gap between the front and rear cartridge spacers... believe the oal is 2.790-2.800... If the cartridge is to short when the bolt moves forward to strip the next round it will just push it forward without the extractor snapping over the fresh round to extract it...

Old 03-12-2017, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Komrade View Post
Cool congrats...

First off... not sure if the ammo you got belted up is going to run right... You need to make sure your running a full metal jacket bullet for best results... also the cartridge overall length needs to fit with little gap between the front and rear cartridge spacers... believe the oal is 2.790-2.800... If the cartridge is to short when the bolt moves forward to strip the next round it will just push it forward without the extractor snapping over the fresh round to extract it...

Good information. The bullets in the picture are inert display rounds that cannot be fired. It does explain why my snap caps did not feed well. The snap caps are considerably shorter overall.

Thanks.

Tags
ggi, kmp