Register iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   BeltfedShooters.com > BeltfedShooters.Com - Artillery - Black Powder Forums > 220mm Bowling Ball Mortars

Old 05-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Master of Nothing

You need to get your ticket and sell thoes bad boys. I'm sure you could find a bunch of buyers !

WE WON !
Old 10-25-2016, 12:08 PM

is there a standard size pressure tank to use? ive always wanted to find one but have no idea what size and specifications id need to make one, Ive always been worried about buying and cutting one to find out the ID is too big or small. Back in high school I made a miniature one out of a paintball CO2 tank. we would even shoot firework mortar shells out of it until we caught a field on fire.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT FISH View Post
is there a standard size pressure tank to use? ive always wanted to find one but have no idea what size and specifications id need to make one, Ive always been worried about buying and cutting one to find out the ID is too big or small. Back in high school I made a miniature one out of a paintball CO2 tank. we would even shoot firework mortar shells out of it until we caught a field on fire.
Hey who HASN'T caught a field on fire!
Old 10-26-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT FISH View Post
i looked into it and you need about an 8" inside diameter i think. there is a certain size acetylene bottle you have to score. these things are scary indeed especially when you try and shoot one almost strait up and you lose eyesight of it.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
i looked into it and you need about an 8" inside diameter i think. there is a certain size acetylene bottle you have to score. these things are scary indeed especially when you try and shoot one almost strait up and you lose eyesight of it.
No Bro, that's called a ROCKET!
Old 12-13-2016, 10:59 AM
Registed User

Default We are going active on this build...

We are going active on this build... Recently I got to spend some time in the BFS shop helping 1919_4_ME moving stuff around and getting some new lines put in etc. and we found the tube stuffed in the corner... Time has a tendency to get away from you... Think we got this tube sometime around 2008 or so... Told me take it and finish it... Needless to say it's back in my hands again...

Disclaimer

The information provided here is for novelty purposes only. Please use at your own risk.

I'm going to post some build information... Also I received extra information from MrKubota.

First the cylinder info...
Type: 3AA-2265
Outside diameter 28 3/4" bottom 29" top...
Inside diameter: 8 5/8"
Wall Thickness : 1/4"

The preferred cylinder is a 3AA-2400 but Bowling Ball Mortars have also been built using the 3AA-2265

Tools you will need... One 15/16" Silver and Deming Drill bit. and One 1" 14tpi tap

First things first... you will notice when you get your cylinder and if it is already threaded for 1" 14tpi your 2" hitch ball that is 1" 14tpi will not thread all the way in... That is partially because the hole for the valve is a tapered fit... So this will first have to be drilled out to 15/16" all the way through... Then you can begin chasing the threads all the way through the cylinder... You will have to have a friend or a way to secure the cylinder during the cutting process... Riding it like Slim Picken's in Dr. Strangelove might be the hot ticket... If your a big fellow like me...

The hitch ball still will not thread in all the way and that's because you must relieve material past the threading near the ball end... You want to remove just enough material that it can slip past the threads... If you have a lathe handy it will work perfect for that.

Once this is done you will be at this point... So long as the stud is flush with the bottom of the chamber if it sticks up a bit grind it down so that it is flush... You want to makes sure you fill all the threads you just cut.

The tube is near completion and the only thing left to do is decide whether you want to use a fuse or a 209 primer ignition type system...

It is recommended that the cap be welded to the cylinder as it is swagged on. I will not be welding it on as I do not want to create a brittle spot in the tube.

My plans for this project are to make this a dual purpose... I will serve as a mortar and a cannon depending on the back drop... I plan to mount it to a wheeled carriage...
Old 04-04-2017, 07:31 AM
Registed User

:kilroy: Next Part of the Project...

Next part of the project there are numerous ways people build the bipods for the mortar part... I currently have a base plate that still needs some work but have cut and I am readying to weld all of the bipod assembly together...

Features a closed screw elevator and a traversing screw... The bipod will fold so that it can be stored more easily... Still need to order hand wheels... With all the cannon builds I have been doing I have not had the time to finish this one out but it's getting close...

Tags
220mm