Register iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   BeltfedShooters.com > BeltfedShooters.Com - Belt-Fed Discussion Forums > PKM Belt-Fed Machine Guns

Old 05-17-2014, 12:48 PM
Licensed to slouch...

**UPDATE**

Ok as Gunrunner pointed out his scope mount is not fitting on the rail correctly (loose)? So I went grabbed one my Eotech EXPS's off of one my AR's and tried to install it on this PKM rail. The EXPS has an adjustable quick release lever on it so if its sits kinda loose on the rail but you can adjust it to so the mount will get tight on the rail.

One thing that I noticed is when its tight on the rail it's sitting kinda canted on the rail ever so slightly, you can barely see it when looking at it head on. This rail is a few thousandths thinner then a U.S spec rail. I tried different rings on it and naturally all the overseas rings fit perfectly on it with no problems at all. You start to run into problems when you put US made higher end rings or even the QD rings such as the Eotech mounts. This is not good so I did some digging around on the net and found a solution for this budget PKM rail.

So after searching around I found a machinist who is making new U.S Spec M1913 picatinny rails on his CNC machine. He is able to make it any length and can do custom rails any way you want even weld them onto your guns (these are steel rails). So after talking with him and telling him what I need he said no problem he can make a rail for this PKM mount. So we call this a "PKM rail retrofit".

The plan is to machine the old rail completely off and install the new US spec steel rail onto the new mount. So I had him machine up a custom rail for this and he installed it back onto the mount via machine screws (this thing is rock solid). So now this mount is up to spec on the rail and it will accept any type of QD mount and all standard US rings without any problems.

If you plan is to run the Chinese rings only then you really don't need this upgrade for your rail as the rings will fit fine.

So anyways this is a neat little upgrade you can do to your PKM mount so you can run any rings as you wish.

Here are some pics of the new retrofit M1913 US spec rail.

Nice machine work with the new rail.

So far for this experiment.

1. Cost of the PKM scope mount $33
2. Cost of PKM rail retrofit with new US spec rail $90

Total cost for the budget PKM rail $123 (Not too shabby)

** I talked to the guy who machines the rails and asked him if he can do more and he said no problem at all so I will give you guys his info in case you want to do yours. Its an awesome upgrade for this mount and worth the price he charges. The price is $90 and that includes return shipping. (You ship your mount to him OR you can buy one online and have it shipped directly to him to save a little on shipping - Just let him know so he knows.

His contact e-mail is: turbothis@mygunsnorthwest.com
His name is "Matt"

Subject in e-mail "PKM rail retrofit upgrade"

*Turn around time was same day as receiving.

Just tell him Rich sent ya so he will know.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Licensed to slouch...

Here's a few comparisons of the Hungarian & Romanian top covers.

*Note the recessed area of the Hungarian top cover pictured over on the right just in front the sight.

Big difference on the left side.

Shown mounted on the Romanian top cover

Here you can see why it doesn't want to fit. *Right side clamp fits fine only the left side has a fitment problem on the Romy top-cover.

In order to get it to fit the Romy top cover you would have to dremel or sand part of the bottom of the clamp (contour it) so it will clear the hump.

Here's a comparison on the Hungarian top cover. Fits perfect.

Versus the Romanian.

With a little modding you should be able to get it to fit the Romanian top cover also. Hopefully these pics will help.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:16 PM

I got mine to fit but I never thought about having Matt replace the rail. I will be sending mine out ASAP. Thanks for the leg work on this
Old 05-17-2014, 06:23 PM

All I got to say is nice job getting it all figured out. Looks great Now if I just had a nice PKM to go with it. I will say that the zastava mini pkm looks friggin awesome
Old 12-14-2016, 06:11 PM

Wow

Great thread!!!!
Old 12-14-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5243 View Post
I have the front rail and like it a lot. It's much nicer grabbing that when firing off the shoulder then a hot gas tube. I do not keep the optic mount on it though. I don't like having a quick change barrel that cannot be changed. Also it keeps the optic way too far out front. I didn't notice they had the one for the top cover, and only 10th the price of the of the real ones. Im half tempted to buy one of the airsoft pkm's just to get the black furniture.

When i first got it.

Now
I'm definitely interested in this rail but also only want the bottom 3 rails.

It holds rock solid with only the bottom 3?

What holds the bottom 3 in place?
Old 12-15-2016, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arevalosocom View Post
I'm definitely interested in this rail but also only want the bottom 3 rails.

It holds rock solid with only the bottom 3?

What holds the bottom 3 in place?
It's rock solid and a great handguard to grab onto when firing from the shoulder. The only negative is you lose the ability to mount to a tripod. I never use my tripod so its not a problem. I did mill part of the side plates for the handguard so changing barrels is easier for cleaning.

The two side plates have a cutout for the mount section where the gun hooks into the tripod. The bottom piece screws into each of the side plates basically clamping them around the lug.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:33 AM

Thanks for that explanation and confirmation!

Ordering one!
Old 04-07-2017, 03:00 PM

Thanks to all for help

I got one and it works like a champ. I only use the 3 sides and also took the grinder to the rail to allow / keep the quick hangs feature of the PKM barrels.

Now you boys need to buy one of these backpacks!!

Old 04-29-2017, 01:12 PM

Handguard rail works like a champ

I did grind down the parts that get in the way of leaving the barrel quick change

Tags
optic